Return to Sport
viaSport is working with the Province of British Columbia and the amateur sport sector to support organizations to operate safely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Current guidance from the Office of the Public Health Officer
- All sport activities are allowed.
- Proof of vaccination is no longer required for sport activities and programs.
- Individual businesses and event organizers can choose to continue requiring proof of vaccination for entry.
- Businesses, organizations and facilities no longer need a COVID-19 safety plan. They must follow communicable disease guidance from WorkSafeBC.
- Wearing masks in public indoor settings is not required by public health. Wearing a mask is a personal choice.
- Individual businesses, facilities and event organizers can choose to continue requiring masks on their premises. It’s important that we respect these choices.
Recreation, leisure and individual training activities and facilities considerations
During the return to sport process, viaSport’s role is to focus on the safe return of participants to sport activities in B.C. This continues to be our number-one priority. For updates on facilities please contact your municipality, BC Recreation and Parks Association or Recreation Facilities Association of BC.
Sport organizations can/should:
- Consider developing a Communicable Disease Prevention Plan
- Work with your insurance provider and/or legal council on risk mitigation
- Maintain communications with your stakeholders around the status of return to sport plans
- Consult your local health authority on their plans or guidelines for sport
- Connect with your facility operators and municipalities to understand the protocols they have in place
- Encourage your members to remain active while enjoying the outdoors and facilities that have opened in a safe manner