BC Sports Hall of Fame Announces 2019 Class of Inductees
The BC Sports Hall of Fame revealed its 2019 Induction Class at an official Announcement Day press conference at BC Place on Wednesday, November 14, 2018. The 2019 Induction Class features five athletes, three builder-coaches, one team, one pioneer, one media member and one W.A.C. Bennett award winner.
The 2019 Induction Class includes:
- Emily Brydon - Skiing
- Roy Gerela – Football
- Kelly McCallum – Rugby
- Daniel Sedin – Ice Hockey
- Henrik Sedin – Ice Hockey
- Darlene Currie - Basketball
- Ken Holland – Ice Hockey
- Tony Waiters – Soccer
- 1968 New Westminster Salmonbellies Lacrosse
- Team Members: Bill Armstrong (general manager), Ray Bennie, Barry Bolton, Albert Brown (honorary president), Barrie Brownlie, Ian Bull, Dan DesLauriers, Steve d’Easum, Ron Flaten, Ed Goss, Wayne Goss, Ken Henry, Larry Henry, Ken Jew, Al Lewthwaite, Mickey Lynch, Gord MacNab (trainer), Ian Matheson (secretary-treasurer), Dave McDonald (president), Bill McMurchie, Doug McRory (playing manager), Ken Mikkelsen (trainer), Les Norman, Ken Oddy, Paul Parnell, Dr. Hugh Radford (team doctor), Bill Scriver, Cliff Sepka (playing coach), John Shmyr, Paul Shmyr, Wayne Shuttleworth, Dave Tory, Ken Tory, Mac Tyler, Don Wallis, Bill Wilkes, Ken Winzoski
- Ralph ‘Hunk’ Henderson – Basketball/Football
- Dan Jukich
W.A.C. Bennett Award
- Ron Toigo
The 53rd Induction Class will be honoured at the 2019 Induction Gala, presented by Victory Square, Thursday, May 23rd, 2019 at the Vancouver Convention Centre. Early bird table sales of 10 tickets each are available now at the BC Sports Hall of Fame website, starting at $2,750; $3,000 after February 28. Individual tickets at $300 become available March 1st.
Tom Mayenknecht, Chair of the BC Sports Hall of Fame said: “Congratulations to this terrific class of 11 individuals and one team spanning eight sports. The Class of 2019 is another tribute to how British Columbia has become one of the most important sport hubs in Canada. These athletes, coaches, builders, pioneers and media will be certain to ‘Inspire the Future’. We look forward to teaming up with our partners to celebrate their achievements at the 53rd BC Sports Hall of Fame Induction Gala presented by Victory Square May 23, 2019.”
Once inducted, these individuals and team will be officially recognized as Honoured Members and an Honoured Team of the BC Sports Hall of Fame. Since 1966, the BC Sports Hall of Fame has inducted 385 individuals and 60 teams.
For more information about the BC Sports Hall of Fame, please visit: www.bcsportshalloffame.com.