viaSport has trained facilitators across British Columbia. If you are interested in hosting a workshop. Complete this request form and we will be pleased to connect you with a facilitator. For more information For more information on CAAWS Women and Leadership Workshops, visit www.caaws.ca/leadership/women-and-leadership-program
Women and Girls
viaSport recognizes that women and girls’ are underrepresented in all areas of sport, as coaches, athletes, leaders, and administrators.
- Only 2% of girls ages 12-17 receive the recommended 60 minutes of physical activity daily
- Only 19% of Canadian women participate in sport, compared to 35% of Canadian men
- Women occupy only 17% of head coach positions in Canadian Interuniversity Sport
To close the gender gap in sport, viaSport works with sport, recreation, and physical activity leaders to build awareness, provide education and develop capacity so that sport is more representative and inclusive for women and girls.
As part of viaSport’s commitment to developing a provincial sport sector with balanced gender representation, viaSport has established and continues to champion change in the following areas:
- Lead a public awareness campaign, entitled #LevelTheField, to bring attention to the issue
- Lead a Girls & Women Advisory Group to engage sport leaders from around the province
- Develop a Gender Equity in Sport and Physical Activity Policy
- Ensure Gender Equity is a key component when evaluating provincial sport organization performance
- Provide Gender Equity grants for individuals to attend professional development training and enhance their leadership
- Deliver Gender Equity workshops across the province through viaSport’s Regional Alliance network, and in partnership with the Canadian Association for the Advancement of Women and Sport and Physical Activity (CAAWS) and PromotionPlus
- Share current practices and develop new opportunities for more women and girls to get involved
Is your organization gender equitable?
CAAWS LEADERSHIP WORKSHOPS
VIASPORT AND GENDER EQUITY
viaSport is proud to release the viaSport Gender Equity in Sport and Physical Activity Policy. This policy was created to assist in developing a sport sector where fair, unbiased, and equitable opportunities are available to every British Columbian, at every level.
3 ways to cultivate gender diverse leadership in sport
As leaders, everyone has the ability to foster impactful change. How are you ensuring that your behaviours are helping to build a stronger sport system that seeks to make sport an inclusive and positive experience for all?