You are here

How do I find mental health support?


PlaySafe BC logo


If you or someone you know is experiencing maltreatment in sport, reaching out for support can be an important part of healing. The resources below may be helpful in finding that support.

Please note that these are not organizations that can handle complaints about maltreatment in sport - they are there to support people who may be affected by it or other issues in their lives.



  • Call the Crisis Services Canada 24-hour hotline: 1-833-456-4566 / Text 45645
    • (In Quebec: 1-866-277-3553)
  • OR call 9-1-1






If you don't have extended medical insurance

  • If you have provincial health coverage only, you can talk to your doctor (or any doctor at a walk-in clinic if you don’t have a family doctor) and ask for support and/or a referral to a psychiatrist
  • You can book directly with any psychology or counselling practitioner of your choice on a fee-for-service basis
  • There may be local services provided by your health authority that you can access:



If you have extended medical insurance

  • Check with your benefits provider to see if you have coverage for psychology or counselling services
    • Check the policy requirements for the types of practitioners they will cover

Provincially carded athletes

Provincial or National Team coaches and staff members

  • You may be eligible to request services (free or fee-for-service) through the Canadian Centre for Mental Health and Sport

Sport Canada carded athletes

  • AAP carded athletes have access to subsidized mental health care through Game Plan (including up to 2 years following retirement/loss of carding)
    • Talk to a counsellor now: 1-844-240-2990 (24/7/365, through LifeWorks)
    • Connect with a mental health practitioner who knows sport:
      • Confidential
      • Secure
      • $1000 of coverage / year

National Team coaches and staff members

  • Game Plan provides mental health supports through LifeWorks (free) and mental health practitioners who know sport (fee-for-service)
    • If you have extended medical benefits through your sports organization, they may cover some or all of the fees

If you are complainant or respondent to a case admissible to OSIC OR are a victim/survivor of Prohibited Behaviour as defined in the UCCMS in a situation that would be admissible to the OSIC, regardless of whether a complaint has been filed

  • You may be eligible for mental health services through the Canadian Centre for Mental Health and Sport (eligibility criteria are here:
  • If you are eligible, you can apply for support by contacting the Canadian Sport Helpline from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (ET), 7 days a week:
  • For more information about the Mental Health Support Program and other Support Services of the OSIC, please click HERE.”