Coach of the Year Awards
The Coach of the Year Awards were founded by the Coaches Association of BC, funded by the Bob Bearpark Foundation. The Foundation continues to support viaSport in providing recognition awards for BC coaches in the following categories: Recreational/Grassroots, Regional/Provincial Development and International.
The purpose of the Coach of the Year Awards is to recognize dedication and commitment to coaching in British Columbia. Each recipient will be selected for their outstanding achievement in the category in which they have been nominated, and for their unique contribution to the advancement and well-being of athletes and their sport. The award does not reflect the accomplishment and contributions of the coach in any one year. It is designed to recognize contributions the coach has made to sport over a number of years.
Each recipient of a Coach of the Year Award will receive a $250 bursary from the Bob Bearpark Coaching Bursary Fund and will be honoured at the 2019 BC Sports Hall of Fame Induction Gala.
- Recreational / Grassroots - coach grassroots and recreational athletes at any age
- Regional / Provincial Development - coaches at this level are responsible for athletes who are developing competitive skills and preparing for higher competition within regional or provincial programs
- International - primarily coach athletes at the international level
Nominees must meet the following criteria:
- Have the relevant NCCP qualifications
- Recreational / Grassroots – Community Sport In Training (at minimum)
- Regional / Provincial Development – Competition-Introduction Trained (at minimum)
- International – Competition-Development Trained or High Performance (at minimum)
- Be a member in good standing of a B.C.-based PSO affiliated or accredited with viaSport
- Be a resident of British Columbia
- Be nominated in one category per year only
- Show respect for officials, opponents, parents and embrace a philosophy of fair play
- Demonstrate concern for all-around development of the athlete
- Apply relevant training theory and coaching practices
- Demonstrate a proven capacity to improve the team's or athlete's performance
Four areas will be considered by the selection committee, as follows:
- Contribution to Sport - the nominee has contributed to the organization and development of sport
- Coaching Effectiveness - the coach demonstrates his/her abilities through the improvement of the athletes
- Personal Development and Achievement - nominee's commitment to further learning, including NCCP certification, professional development, mentorship, etc. As well as other awards or recognition the nominee has received for their efforts in coaching
- Leadership - the coach should be known as a positive role model for the athletes and should demonstrate stable consistent leadership qualities
If it is deemed that no candidate meets the selection criteria in a particular category, the selection committee may choose not to grant the award in that particular year.
READY TO NOMINATE?
Nominations will open January 31st, 2019.