viaSport British Columbia was created in 2011 as a legacy of the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games. As an independent not-for-profit organization, viaSport is tasked by the provincial government to be the lead agency responsible for promoting and developing amateur sport in British Columbia.
viaSport means through sport, and we believe that through sport we can:
- champion change
- foster excellence
- energize communities
- develop leadership
viaSport's purpose is to champion positive changes so that more British Columbians thrive via sport and physical activity by uniting leaders across sectors to:
- think provincially to increase participation and performance
- foster excellence in order for all athletes to develop and improve their performance
- activate locally to enrich and energize communities
- leverage investment to maximize funding and revenue
AT VIASPORT, YOU CAN:
- learn about upcoming amateur sports events and watch them on-line through viaSport Media.
- connect with the more than 70 BC sports organizations that deliver sport programs and services every day.
- gain access to the most-up-to-date coaching resources and information
- apply for sport-related grant funding to encourage sport participation, develop high-performance athletes and improve sport and recreation programs
- search a database of provincial sports facilities to determine where you can hold your next amateur sport event
With support from the Province of British Columbia, viaSport is leading the charge to strengthen B.C.'s amateur sport system.
viaSport administers $14.6M of the government’s sport investment to support:
Application grant funding supports the following key development areas:
- Event hosting
- Gender equity
- Coaching development
- Athlete assistance
- Participation from under-represented groups
An active, healthy British Columbia where sport inspires a field of possibilities for all.
2016 YEAR-END REPORT
To learn more about viaSport this past year, read our 2016 year-end report here.