Coach of the year
The Coach of the Year Awards were founded by the Coaches Association of BC, funded by the Bob Bearpark Foundation. The Foundation continues to support viaSport in providing recognition awards for BC coaches in the following categories: Recreational/Grassroots, Regional/Provincial Development and International.
The purpose of the Coach of the Year Awards is to recognize a history and dedication to coaching in British Columbia. Each recipient will be selected for their outstanding achievement in the category in which they have been nominated, and for their unique contribution to the advancement and well-being of athletes and their sport. The award does not reflect the accomplishment and contributions of the coach in any one year. It is designed to recognize contributions the coach has made to sport over a number of years.
Each recipient of the Coach of the Year Award will receive a $250 bursary from the Bob Bearpark Coaching Bursary Fund, and are invited to attend the 2017 Banquet of Champions hosted by BC Sports Hall of Fame on April 12, 2017.
- Recreational / Grassroots - these are coaches who coach grassroots and recreational athletes at any age
- Regional / Provincial Development - coaches at this level are responsible for athletes who are developing competitive skills and preparing athletes for higher competition within regional or provincial programs
- International - coaches who primarily coach athletes at the international level
Nominees must meet the following criteria:
- Have a minimum NCCP Competition Introduction Certification or equivalent
- Be a member in good standing of their sport's PSO and/or NSO (if applicable)
- Be a resident of British Columbia
- Be nominated in one category per year only
- Show respect for officials, opponents, parents and embrace a philosophy of fair play
- Demonstrate concern for all-around development of the athlete
- Apply relevant training theory and coaching practices
- Demonstrate a proven capacity to improve the team's or athlete's performance
Four areas will be considered by the selection committee, as follows:
- Contribution to Sport - the nominee has contributed to the organization and development of sport
- Coaching Effectiveness - the athletes which the nominee coaches have shown steady improvement
- Personal Development and Achievement - nominee's commitment to further learning, including NCCP certification, professional development, mentorship, etc. As well as other awards or recognition the nominee has received for their efforts in coaching
- Leadership - the coach should be known has a positive role model for the athletes and should provide stable consistent leadership qualities
If it is deemed that no candidate meets the selection criteria in a particular category, the selection committee may choose not to grant the award in that particular year.
READY TO NOMINATE?
Deadline: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 11:59 PM (PST)